A 13-0 run to start the second half sparked the Nevis boys basketball team to a 69-67 victory over Lakeview Christian Academy at the Tiger Arena on Jan. 11.

LCA led 45-37 at the half before the Tigers rallied as Luke DeWulf finished with 27 points, eight rebounds and five steals. Eddie Kramer connected on five 3-pointers for 15 points while Michael Landquist (8), Ty Warrington (7) and Derek Lindow (7) combined for 22 points. Landquist and Lindow had four rebounds each and Lindow led the way with five assists with Warrington and Kramer dishing out three assists each. Kramer also had three steals while Warrington had two steals for the Tigers.

Jacob Easty's 21 points and Brandon BarBee's 20 points led LCA, which fell to 8-4.

"This was our best game of the season so far. LCA has four seniors that are athletic and quick. We were able to answer the call as we hung in the entire way," said Nevis head coach Scott Kramer. "I knew that we needed to make the first run in the second half and we did. The game went back and forth and we had a couple of opportunities late to put it away, but we missed a free throw and had a couple of turnovers that enabled them to get a last possession to win or tie. Fortunately for us, they missed a 3 and we were able to knock a loose ball away as time expired to preserve the win. It was a great team effort for us as we got some important stops late to win the game. It was our best win of the season and very well deserved after a handful of tough losses."

LAKEVIEW CHRISTIAN ACADEMY: J. Easty 21, BarBee 20, Puffer 10, Kallis 6, B. Easty 5, Johnson 5.

NEVIS: DeWulf 27, Kramer 15, Landquist 8, Warrington 7, Lindow 7, Funk 3, Soldwisch 2.

Halftime: Lakeview 45, Nevis 37. Three-pointers: Puffer 2, J. Easty 2, Johnson 1, B. Easty 1, Warrington 1, Kramer 5, Funk 1.

Tigers' rally falls short

A dramatic second-half comeback fell short as Hinckley-Finlayson escaped with a 73-65 overtime win over the Tigers at the Lake Superior Classic at Duluth East on Jan. 12.

Hinckley-Finlayson expanded a 39-15 lead to 44-17 before the Tigers used a 42-15 run to tie the game at 59-59 at the end of regulation play. Hinckley-Finlayson took charge in the extra session to prevail in this battle of Section 5A teams.

DeWulf led the Tigers with 22 points, seven rebounds and two assists. Lindow added 13 points and four steals while Warrington had 10 points and five steals. Landquist and Ben Soldwisch grabbed three rebounds each with Soldwisch leading the way with three assists. Logan Funk added two assists as the Tigers fell to 4-3 against Section 5A teams and 7-5 overall this season.

Hinckley-Finlayson, the top team in the South half of Section 5A, improved to 6-0 against section foes and 9-4 overall.

"We knew coming in that we were going to get full-court pressure and denial defense. We also knew that we had to withstand the first wave after coming off a big win the night before against LCA and the long bus ride to Duluth. They all but buried us in the first half on their way to a 39-15 lead. We just couldn't get shots to fall and then we got a little impatient and turned the ball over," said Kramer. "The second half was a different story. We played an amazing half of basketball to go on a 42-15 run to eventually get the game to overtime. In overtime, they scored the first two hoops to go up 63-59 and then we had to start fouling and hurrying possessions, which finally did us in. I couldn't be more proud of these kids for how hard they play and that they never give up. That is our second 20-plus point second-half comeback, and even though we have had some tough losses, we are getting stronger as a team. Hopefully this pays come March."