LETTER: We can address climate change and have a strong economy
The following is a letter to the editor submitted to the Park Rapids Enterprise by a reader. It does not necessarily reflect the views of the Park Rapids Enterprise. To submit a letter, email email@example.com or mail it to Park Rapids Enterprise, 1011 1st. ST. E., Suite 6, Park Rapids, MN 56470.
A recent column by the Hubbard County GOP stated, “Price ceilings, business restrictions in the name of questionable climate change are not in the interest of a strong economy. “
The science is unmistakable. Climate change is real and no longer “questionable.”
Look at the facts:
- Arctic sea ice extent is diminishing.
- Ocean heat content is increasing.
- Air temperature over the ocean is increasing.
- Sea surface temperature is increasing.
- Global sea level is rising.
- Humidity is increasing.
- Temperature of the lower atmosphere is increasing.
- Air temperature over land is increasing.
The economic cost we have already seen from the increased wildfires (happening all over the world) and severe weather (think tornados in December in Minnesota) is very high and will get even higher in the future if we delay reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.
Change can sometimes be scary, but it will be necessary if we are to maintain a livable planet. We can have a strong economy and address climate change.