Rod Karl of Park Rapids built this amazing 1/2-inch scale model of the original Hubbard County Courthouse.
“Rotten Rod’s Birdhouse Shop” was located one block from the courthouse. He used old photos which show the original cupola, to create the model. The bricks and the main structure are cedar. The towers are redwood and the doors are oak. It has about 5,000 pieces, and Karl invested about 330 hours of his time.
The Hubbard County Historical Society’s goal is to preserve our county’s historic and beautiful Victorian landmark, built in 1900.
During World War II, local boys were stationed in the cupola to look for enemy planes, but luckily none were ever spotted. This building was designed by a Milton E. Beebe, a famous architect.
The courthouse, which now houses the Hubbard County Historical Museum and Nemeth Art Center, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the nation’s official list of properties deemed worthy of preservation.
The Hubbard County Historical Museum is located at 301 Court Ave. in Park Rapids. Hours are 10:30a.m. to 4:30p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. Admission is free.