'Did you kill Kristin and Bob?' Dakota Spotlight podcast narrows focus to call on 1993 missing persons case
In this week's episode, the investigative true crime podcast plays its entire interview with a significant person in this season: Clyde Diede, a chiropractor in Winner, South Dakota, and husband of Kristin Diede when she went missing with her boyfriend Bob Anderson in 1993.
Listen to Episode 9 — Calling Clyde
Clyde Diede has gotten a lot of questions over the years.
Some of them have included: What do you think happened to your missing wife, Kristin? When did you last see her? What happened when you saw her at your family farm in mid-August 1993, the weekend she and her boyfriend Bob Anderson, were last seen? Did you in fact stay at a hotel in a town 100 miles away, just two blocks from where Bob's van was found abandoned days after they vanished?
This time, it's Dakota Spotlight asking the questions.
Listen in as Forum Communications Co.'s investigative true crime podcast goes deep on its lone but remarkable conversation with a significant person in this season: Clyde, a chiropractor in Winner, South Dakota.
Photo gallery below — tap arrow to see more photos
Clyde encountered his then-wife, Kristin, at the Diede family farm near Wishek, North Dakota, the same weekend Kristin and her boyfriend Bob vanished, in mid-August, 1993. They never returned from their road trip, home to Bloomington, Minnesota.
In the following years, law enforcement was very interested in Clyde Diede. They even threw him in jail at one point to compel him to give them a hair sample.
In this episode: Dakota Spotlight plays the entire interview with Clyde Diede from front to back, as well as the other attempts to speak to him. The show then take listeners behind the scenes, revealing deliberations over how to use what Clyde said the call — a crucial component of this season of Dakota Spotlight.
About Dakota Spotlight, Season Six: 'Vanishing Act: The Untold Story of Kristin Diede and Bob Anderson'
In this season of Dakota Spotlight, the podcast tackles a live, multi-part investigation that spans multiple states including Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota, in which host James Wolner and co-producer Jeremy Fugleberg try to figure out what happened to Kristin Anderson and Bob Anderson, who vanished in North Dakota on Aug. 15, 1993.
Police are tight-lipped about the case, but the duo works with Kristin and Bob's family members, friends and allies to untangle why they went to North Dakota, what exactly took place on Aug. 15, 1993 — the last day they were seen and why the couple has never been found.
The investigation reveals the painful holes ripped through people's lives when their loved ones disappear without a trace. The mystery of Diede and Anderson's disappearance continues to haunt many whose lives they touched.
Person in this episode
- Clyde: Kristin's estranged husband. They married in 1983 and had two kids together, Mitchel and Deanna. He was convicted of 5th-degree domestic assault against Kristin, and issued a no-contact order for her, in May 1993, three months before she vanished. Later, a friend of Heather claims she had a confrontation with him outside Kristin's apartment in Bloomington. In March 1994, Clyde got a divorce from Kristin and obtained full custody of their two children. Later that year he moved to Winner, South Dakota, and opened a chiropractic practice.
People in previous episodes
- Betty: Kristin's mother, now deceased, who told James the family had no photos of Kristin.
- Brenda: Kristin's sister, who recalled her sister enjoying cards and other games.
- Chase: Son of Bob Anderson. Chase had long been told his dad had abandoned him, and had lived a troubled life with addiction and prison time. He later found out his dad actually hadn't abandoned him, but had instead vanished in 1993 and authorities believed he had been murdered.
- Dan: Dan was a reporter at WCCO television in Minneapolis in 1995. He flew to Wishek, North Dakota, to pursue the missing persons case, was met with hostility from the Diede family and believes he was followed around town and back to the town's airstrip. He remains haunted by the experience.
- Dean: Bob's brother, and the last Anderson family members to see him alive. He recalled a happy family, and a childhood growing up on a hobby farm.
- Debra: Bob's sister, who recalled how he was quiet and supportive, and how much she looked up to her big brother.
- Diane: Bob's sister, who shared numerous memories of her brother, and their family — including a father who promoted education and told her she could do what she aspired to do in life.
- Heather: A neighbor of Kristin in Bloomington, Minnesota. She and a friend, Tiffany, befriended Kristin, helped coax her out of her shell after her marriage to Clyde had collapsed, and were the first to report her missing to law enforcement.
- Larry: Kristin's brother, who was in Wishek the weekend Kristin and Bob disappeared and remembers her as happy person but one who didn't talk much about her problems.
- Molly: An advocate at Cornerstone, a domestic violence shelter and advocacy program in Bloomington, Minnesota. Molly became Kristin's case worker and helped her navigate her relationship with her estranged husband Cylde, including her pursuit of a domestic assault charge against him.
- Sandra: Kristin's sister. Sandra saw Kristin and spoke with her at their brother Larry's place before Sandra and other members of Kristin's immediate family left for a trip to Idaho on Saturday, Aug. 14, 1993 — the day before Kristin vanished.
- Sherri: Kristin's niece, who explained that Kristin had grown estranged from the Goebel family.
- Susan: Former executive director of Cornerstone, a domestic violence shelter in Minnesota, where Kristin sought help. Susan has been a steadfast advocate for Kristin's case.
- Tiffany: A neighbor of Kristin Diede in Bloomington, Minnesota. She and friend Heather befriended Kristin. Tiffany was the last person Kristin was known to have called before vanishing with her boyfriend, Bob.
- Travis: Nephew of Kristin. He has made it his mission to better understand what might have happened to his aunt and her boyfriend in 1993.
- Wes: Retired trooper of the North Dakota Highway Patrol, stationed in Wishek, North Dakota, on Aug. 15, 1993. Kristin and Bob visited Wes on that day, the day they disappeared, to ask about legal issues regarding Kristin, Clyde and their children before leaving for the Diede farm.