ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Some Minnesota Republicans return to life as normal after exposure to potentially infectious Trump

Minnesota Republicans had contact with President Donald Trump during campaign stops in the state last week, days before he tested positive for the coronavirus. Several remain in isolation as the Minnesota Legislature approaches an October special session, and Congress has work to do.

DSC_0190 (2).JPG
U.S. Senate candidate Jason Lewis, left, Minnesota House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt and Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka converse with President Donald Trump outside of Air Force One in Minneapolis on Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2020. (Sarah Mearhoff / Forum News Service)
We are part of The Trust Project.

ST. PAUL — Several prominent Minnesota Republicans are returning to life as usual days after they greeted a potentially contagious President Donald Trump in Minnesota, despite public health officials' advice to quarantine.

Trump held a tarmac visit to Minneapolis on Wednesday, Sept. 30, and attended a private fundraiser in Shorewood ahead of a campaign rally that evening that drew thousands in Duluth. Early on Friday, Oct. 2, Trump announced via Twitter that both he and first lady Melania Trump had tested positive for COVID-19. He was admitted to the Walter Reed Medical Center later that day.

U.S. Senate candidate Jason Lewis on Monday, Oct. 5, said he planned to return to the campaign trail after a negative COVID-19 test. Meanwhile, two GOP state legislative leaders remain in self-quarantine after the interactions with an unmasked Trump.

Lewis said in a statement that he had quarantined for four days and got tested for the virus "out of an overabundance of caution" after his brief interaction with Trump.

"I’m pleased to say that I’ve been feeling fine, received negative tests results this (Monday) morning, and will be returning to the campaign trail," Lewis said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Additionally, a trio of sitting congressmen from Minnesota over the weekend flew on a commercial flight with other passengers days after their interactions with Trump.

All three of Minnesota's Republican congressmen — U.S. Reps. Jim Hagedorn, Tom Emmer and Pete Stauber — traveled with Trump for last Wednesday's visit in Air Force One from Washington, D.C., to Minnesota, then in a motorcade, then back to Washington. All three said they tested negative for the virus on Friday but did not specify any plans to remain in isolation or get tested again. Stauber on Monday announced that he would postpone a Duluth roundtable event scheduled for this week.

Following reports of the three congressmen taking a commercial Delta flight from Washington back to Minnesota on Friday evening, Oct. 2, a spokesperson for Emmer confirmed the report and said that the three representatives had been cleared to travel by the House's attending physician after testing negative earlier Friday. The spokesperson said Hagedorn, Emmer and Stauber "strictly adhered to (attending physician's) guidance, wearing masks and distancing themselves from others."

The congressmen's decision to travel on a commercial flight within days of a potential COVID-19 exposure drew ire from Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party Chairman Ken Martin, who said the lawmakers should have quarantined for longer than two days after seeing Trump. He said “millions of Americans have sacrificed so much” during the pandemic, but that the representatives didn’t wait longer to board an airplane illustrates their “stupidity and disregard for the well-being of their fellow passengers.”

Two other Minnesota Republicans had public interactions with the president during his Wednesday visit, as well: Minnesota state Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, R-Nisswa, and House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt, R-Crown, as well as Lewis greeted Trump Wednesday afternoon at the Minnesota Air National Guard's base in Minneapolis . None of them wore masks during the interaction, but they were outdoors.

Gazelka and Daudt have tested negative for the virus after their short interaction with Trump, but both have said they plan to continue "limiting activities" and self-isolating, as public health officials warn that it takes time for the virus to incubate and result in a positive test result.

Gazelka announced Monday that he received a negative COVID-19 test result. He took the test Friday morning, shortly after news broke of the president's diagnosis. He said he plans to continue "limiting activities" per his doctor's advice and will take another coronavirus test later this week. A spokesperson said he is not showing any symptoms of respiratory illness.

Daudt also took a test Friday and announced on Saturday that his results returned with negative results. As of Monday morning, a spokesperson said he still has no symptoms and remains in self-isolation. Daudt plans to take another test ahead of the Legislature's upcoming special session.

ADVERTISEMENT

Following Trump's rally in Duluth, which the local fire department estimated had an attendance of about 3,000 people, the Minnesota Department of Health has advised those rally-goers to get tested for the virus and isolate for 14 days after exposure.

The Minnesota Department of Health on Monday said they'd not yet tracked cases of COVID-19 in Minnesotans that stemmed from those campaign events.

Public health experts have said a person could have the illness but initially test negative for it. They advised getting tested five to seven days after potential exposure and then again at 12 to 14 days following exposure if the initial test is negative.

"A negative test is not a get out of jail free card," Minnesota Department of Health Infectious Disease Director Kris Ehresmann said. "If you get tested on day four or five, that's great that you're negative but you still have the entire rest of the incubation period in which you could develop illness and could be infectious and could transmit to someone else."

Forum News Service correspondent Dana Ferguson contributed to this report.

Gallery: Trump in Duluth Sept. 30, hours ahead of positive COVID-19 test

Mearhoff is a Minnesota Capitol Correspondent for Forum News Service. You can reach her at smearhoff@forumcomm.com or 651-290-0707.
What to read next
Perry Lillis, 58, of rural Perham was driving the ATV and was injured in the crash. He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, and later remained under the care of the hospital, with injuries believed to be non-life-threatening.
After family realized the child was missing, a search ensued and the child's father found the boy face-down in the water near the shore, the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office said.
“The firefighter’s training and experience proved essential in the life-saving efforts,” according to the news release. “It’s estimated life-saving efforts were performed for roughly one minute before the child began to breathe again, prior to the arrival of first-responders.”