Menahga scholarships total $42,300
Scholarship awards were presented on May 18, including the inaugural group of Selma and Gordon Brevig scholarships.
Fifteen Menahga High School seniors received $42,300 in scholarships May 18 through Menahga Dollars for Scholars.
The program received a substantial amount of money this year from the Brevig estate to establish the Selma and Gordon Brevig scholarship endowment. According to treasurer Connie Juntunen, the family’s wish for this money is to be given to Menahga graduating seniors for many years to come, with an investment plan awarding 5% of the balance each year.
Inaugural recipients of the Brevig scholarship are Julia Besonen, Jack Christofferson, Meagan Holtz, Theodore Jackola, Christian Johnson, Samantha Juntunen, LeeRoy Kicker, Amanda Lake, Zander Lind, Madison Makela, Alessandra Matson, Journie Schoon, Tyler Shepersky, Elise Torma and Janie Tormanen, each awarded $1,000.
This is the 35th year for Menahga Dollars for Scholars. In 1987, eight students received scholarships, totaling $3,600. To date, they have awarded 508 students scholarships, totaling $469,120.
Other scholarship awards are as follows:
- Wolf Lake VFW Post 8165: $500 to Tyler Shephesky.
- Lonnie Schmidt memorial music scholarship: $300 each to Julia Besonen, Christian Johnson and Amanda Lake.
- Deb Koch memorial scholarship: $250 to Amanda Lake.
- Clarence W. and Shirley E. (Kangas) Suvanto scholarship, for seniors going into an agriculture-related field of study or who have been active in 4-H or FFA: $500 each to Theodore Jackola and Madison Makela.
- Shane Keranen memorial scholarship: $2,250 each to Jack Christofferson and Zander Lind.
- Community First Bank: $500 each to Julia Besonen, Megan Holtz, Samantha Juntunen, LeeRoy Kicker, Amanda Lake, and Journie Schoon.
- Menahga VFW Post 6206: $500 each to Samantha Juntunen, LeeRoy Kicker, Madison Makela, Journie Schoon, Tyler Shepersky and Elise Torma.
- Renneberg Hardwoods: $250 each to Samantha Juntunen and Zander Lind (technical), Christian Johnson (business) and Jack Chrisofferson (general).
- Northway Insurance of Park Rapids: $500 to Janie Tormanen.
- Pioneer Heritage scholarship: $450 to Tyler Shephersky.
- Anonymous scholarship: $500 each to Julia Besonen, Alessandra Matson, Theodore Jackola and Meagan Holtz.
- M-821 scholarship, in its 24th year: $400 to Janie Tormanen.
- Menahga Dollars for Scholars scholarships: $1,000 each to Christian Johnson, Amanda Lake and Janie Tormanen; $700 each to Julia Besonen, Samantha Juntunen, Alessandra Matson and Tyler Shepersky; $500 each to Jack Christofferson, Meagan Holtz, Theodore Jackola, LeeRoy Kicker, Zander Lind, Madison Makela, Journie Schoon and Elise Torma.