Menahga police and fire departments were dispatched to Pine Villa Apartments for heavy smoke in the hallway at approximately 10:46 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24.

A Menahga police officer arrived on scene and confirmed smoke in the building. Residents were evacuated from the building while police and fire personnel searched the building for the cause of the smoke. Upon further investigation, an item was found in a garbage can. The item had been left on a hot stovetop, causing it to burn and was discarded in the garbage can.

Menahga Police and Fire were assisted on scene by the Menahga First Response Team, Sebeka Fire Department, Park Rapids Fire Department, Tri County Ambulance, Wadena County Sheriff's Office and the Minnesota State Patrol.

Newsletter signup for email alerts