A man is in custody after a vehicle chase with police officers Tuesday in Park Rapids.

According to a Park Rapids Police Department press release, officers responded at approximately 3:27 p.m. to a report of an assault in progress in the 500 block of Heartland St., involving a vehicle ramming another vehicle.

Upon arrival, officers saw an adult male suspect leaving the scene in a black Dodge truck near State Hwy. 34 and Mill Road. A police officer activated his lights and siren and pursued the suspect at the posted speed limit for approximately three miles.

The pursuit ended at the intersection of Hollinger St. and Central Ave. when a police officer used a pursuit intervention tactic (PIT). The suspect was taken into custody and transported to the Hubbard County Jail on suspicion of multiple charges.

The Hubbard County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the arrest. There were no injuries.

Charges filed

As of Wednesday, Tyson James Larson, 20, of Lake George was in custody at the Hubbard County Jail.

According to a complaint released by Hubbard County Attorney Jonathan Frieden’s office, Larson was charged in Hubbard County District Court with fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, punishable by up to three years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine, and third-degree driving while impaired (DWI), punishable by one year and/or a $3,000 fine.

The accompanying probable cause statement says multiple witnesses reported a large group of males fighting Tuesday in a parking lot. When two of them – identified as Larson and Dakota Roth – started driving pickup trucks, Larson allegedly rammed his truck into Roth’s and nearly struck another vehicle while leaving the scene.

As a police officer followed Larson’s truck through the town, the statement says, Larson turned into the parking lots of various businesses in an attempt to evade pursuit.

Upon stopping Larson, the arresting officer detected signs of impairment including droopy, bloodshot and watery eyes, thick and slurred speech and unsteadiness on his feet.

Law enforcement obtained a search warrant and collected a urine sample from Larson and sent it to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension for testing.

The statement says Larson made unsolicited remarks en route to the jail, saying he should not have run from law enforcement.

Larson’s driving record indicates his license was revoked on Oct. 7 for a prior DWI offense.

Frieden added that at the hearing on Wednesday, “the judge did not set bail on the new offenses of fleeing in a motor vehicle and third-degree driving while impaired, but instead held him on a probation violation stemming from a trespassing incident in 2018. The judge reserved bail on the new offenses for the next hearing in early November. The defendant is not able to post bail until the next hearing and will remain in the jail’s custody.”