MINNEAPOLIS — The family of a 5-year-old Woodbury boy who survived being thrown from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America was finally able to report some good news Thursday, Aug 1.

In a post on their CaringBridge site, the family said the boy, who has been identified only as Landen, was no longer in intensive care for the first time since the April attack.

He was “moved to an inpatient, physical rehab program at another hospital to help him continue to heal and focus on the next phase of his recovery,” according to the post.

In their last CaringBridge update, on June 25, the family ominously chronicled Landen’s extensive injuries and said that “we must also acknowledge that our beautiful boy has been on a very challenging road to recovery.”

Landen had been in intensive care at Children’s Hospital in Minneapolis since he was thrown nearly 40 feet to the ground by 24-year-old Emmanuel Aranda on April 12.

Aranda later pleaded guilty to attempted premeditated first-degree murder and was sentenced in Hennepin County District Court to 19 years in prison.

The Minneapolis man told investigators he went to the Bloomington mall “looking for someone to kill” after women he approached there had rejected his advances. He said he had planned to kill an adult before choosing the child instead.

Aranda’s family said he suffered from mental illness, though his lawyer never raised that as a defense.