Weather Forecast


Police release details of shooting in Moorhead mobile home park

Authorities investigate the scene of a possible drive-by shooting Wednesday night at Regal Estates in Moorhead. David Samson/The Forum

MOORHEAD - Police say a road rage incident appears to have led to a shooting reported at about 9:25 p.m. Wednesday in the Regal Estates mobile home park in Moorhead.

According to details released this morning by Moorhead Police Lt. Tory Jacobson:

The two vehicles involved in the incident ultimately stopped at Main Avenue Southeast and 12th Avenue, where at least two males got out of their vehicles and engaged in a physical altercation.

After the fight, one of the vehicles took off but then decided to follow the other vehicle, possibly to learn the identity of its occupants.

The vehicle that was being followed stopped on Lancaster Drive in the mobile home park.

"And when those occupants saw that they had been followed, a male got out of the vehicle and began walking their direction and discharged a handgun," Jacobson said.

Jacobson confirmed that the vehicle that had been following the other vehicle was struck by bullets, but no one was injured. Its occupants left the area and called police, who have been working the case since.

Police believe they know the identities of those involved, Jacobson said. A number of people were being interviewed by police, and at least one person was in custody, he said.

The incident appears to be isolated to the two parties involved, he said.

"We don't have any information that would give the public concern for their safety," he said.

According to witnesses at the scene Wednesday, the neighborhood is usually very quiet with many small children in the area. One resident, Matt Hamre, said he heard noises but didn't think it sounded like gunshots. Lisa Heisler, who lives on Somerset Drive, said her daughter heard the gunshots and they were immediately alarmed.

"This is usually a pretty quiet area. We don't have many disturbances," Heisler said. "It kind of gets scary."

The Minnesota State Patrol and Clay County sheriff's deputies assisted Moorhead police at the scene.