Free 'Nitrogren Smart' training in Park Rapids
"Nitrogen Smart" training presents farmers the fundamentals for maximizing economic return on your nitrogen investment and minimizing nitrogen losses.
The workshop will be held from 1-4 p.m. Monday, March 25 at the Hubbard County Law Enforcement Center basement meeting room, 301 Court Ave. No pre-registration is required. There is no cost to attend due to generous support from the Minnesota Corn Growers Association.
The three-hour program will focus on current issues with ag water quality, the nitrogen cycle and the University of Minnesota Extension's best management practices.
Topics presented include the following:
• Sources of nitrogen for crops
• How nitrogen is lost from soil and how you can reduce losses
• Managing nitrogen in drainage systems
• What the new Nutrient Reduction Strategy and Nitrogen Fertilizer Management Plan mean for Minnesota producers
• Split applications, alternative nitrogen fertilizers, soil and tissue testing, N models and other tools to refine your management approach.
Attendees will receive "Nitrogen Smart" designation, which will be good for three years.
For more information, visit z.umn.edu/NitrogenSmart.