Nevis mayor expresses thanks at final council meeting
The Nevis City Council meeting on Monday marked Mayor Chris Norton's final council meeting. "As my last council meeting I would like to thank Dawn Veit for coming in and getting stuff done," he said, showing his appreciation toward Liquor Store Manager Kiley Weaver as well for taking care of the bar. "Deputy Oswald, I would be remiss if I did not say thank you. The comments I get from folks about the job that you do. It's greatly appreciated."
"They do one heck of a job," he said regarding Public Works Supervisor Don Umthun and Fire Chief Jermey Clemen, who were not present at the meeting.
"Before I got on the council, I thought, 'Oh, there's going to be tons and tons to fix at the city. I'll be able to make some big changes.' There isn't really much change to be had, which is good because things run efficiently for the time I've spent here," he said. "It's been appreciated. I greatly appreciate all the hard work everyone has done with the changes that have been made in two years. With the council members now, I think 2017 will be a good year, they are all very active in the city. They want to see what's best and are very community-oriented."
In other business, the Nevis City Council:
• Approved the Nevis Liquor Store budgeted transfer in the amount of $35,000 to the general fund.
• Approved a transfer from the fire fund to the general fund for 2016 administrative costs in the amount of $6,502.
• Approved a transfer from the water fund to the general fund for 2016 administrative costs in the amount of $7,000.
• Approved the transfer from sewer funds to the general fund for 2016 administrative costs in the amount of $7,000.
• Approved a transfer from liquor store funds to the general fund for 2016 administrative costs in the amount of $3,600.
• Approved the transfer from street, water and sanitation funds to the fire fund for a portion of Minnesota Power 2016 costs in the amount of $2,348.76.
• Approved the annual payments for the Fire Chief bi-annual payment in the amount of $1,575, payment to the two Assistant Fire Chiefs in the amount of $250 and the payment for the Training Officer in the amount of $250.
• Were informed by Nevis Municipal Liquor Store Manager Kiley Weaver that the liquor store received coolers from Pepsi which allowed them to bring over additional beer that is typically sold in off-sale into the bar. Weaver said that more than doubled the selection of beer for patrons.
• Approved the transfer of funds in the amount of $12,845 from PB Reserve Savings to the Liquor Store Fund for their new roof.
• Approved the resolution adopting the general fund budget for the year 2017.
• Approved a resolution adopting the property tax levy for the tax year payable 2017 in the amount of $220,239.30.
• Approved Miller McDonald, Inc., Certified Public Accountants for the 2016 city audit scheduled for Feb. 2017. Cost of the audit will be $10,500, which is an increase of $250 from last year.