* IMPORTANT PROPERTY TAX HOMESTEAD NOTICE * This will affect your 2023 property taxes and may affect eligibility for Property Tax Refund. Have you purchased or moved into a property in the past year? Contact your county assessor to file a homestead application if you have both owned and occupied your property on or before December 31, 2022, and use it as a homestead. Occupancy by a qualifying relative also counts – see below. What is a qualifying relative? For Residential and Agricultural property, a qualifying relative includes the child, grandchild, sibling, parent of the owner or owner’s spouse, owner’s uncle, aunt, nephew or niece. The owner(s) must also be a Minnesota resident and not be receiving or claiming another agricultural homestead in Minnesota. • Note: Relative homesteads do not qualify for Property Tax Refund (PTR). Plus, if the property has been classified as Seasonal Residential Recreational (SRR) at any time under current ownership, it does not qualify for a relative homestead. When do I apply? You must apply on or before December 31, 2022, for the current year (2022) assessment, taxes payable in 2023. This application is also available online on our website. Once a homestead is granted, annual applications are not necessary unless they are requested by the county assessor. Contact the assessor’s office on or before December 31, 2022, if the use of the property that you own and/or occupied, or a qualifying relative occupied, has changed during the past year. Conversely, if you sell, move, or for any reason no longer qualify for the homestead classification, you are required to notify the county assessor within 30 days of the change in homestead status. Failure to do so may result in a recalculation of property tax as non-homestead, in addition to a penalty equal to 100 percent of the homestead benefits. Hubbard County Assessor’s Office - 218-732-3452 301 Court Ave., Park Rapids, MN 56470 (Nov. 16, 2022) 121109