Thematic music slated for Feb. 12 band concert
The Park Rapids Area High School band concert is 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 12 in the auditorium.
"I'm eager to share this concert because the kids have worked hard and accomplished lots, but I also think it is full of music that is enjoyable to play and to listen to," said band director John Cook. "I rarely plan music around a theme, but this concert is very programmatic in nature. It is music that tells a story or paints a picture in the listener's mind. Sometimes it tells a specific story, other times if gives an impression of a general idea. It can also sound almost as if it could serve as a soundtrack for a movie because the musical images are so strong."
Musical selections in Monday's program are as follows:
• "The Pioneers" by Jim Curnow, reminiscent of the prairie and westward expansion;
• "The Great Locomotive Chase" by Robert W. Smith depicts steam locomotives racing as it tells a true story of hijacked trains and sabotaged rails during the Civil War and General Sherman's march to the sea;
• Highlights from the movie "Up;"
• "Chant and Savage Dance" by Brian Balmages;
• "Syncopated Clock" by James Ployhar
• "Salvation is Created" by Pavel Tschesnokoff;
• "Zoot Suit Riot" as recorded by Cherry Poppin' Daddies.
The concert will also feature the jazz band.