GRAND RAPIDS, Minn.—Joey Piskel and his dad, Joe, had quite a surprise when they were walleye fishing in the Mississippi River in northern Minnesota on opening day last weekend. What they first thought was a muskie jaw turned out to be the 10-inch-wide jawbone from either a sand tiger or mako shark, which are found in subtropical or tropical saltwater seas. Joey Piskel, 32, who lives in Bemidji, said it was about 2:30 p.m. Saturday, May 13, and they had just caught a nice 21-inch walleye when his dad thought maybe they had landed another.
Laboratory testing has ruled out an amoeba as the cause of death of a 14-year-old Alexandria boy who doctors originally thought died after contracting a rare brain-debilitating condition while swimming in a central Minnesota lake. The testing conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has determined that Hunter Boutain did not die from suspected primary amoebic meningoencephalitis as reported in early July, but instead from streptococcal meningoencephalitis.