DNR closes northeast Minnesota's early wolf season
The northwest zone remains open in the 200 series deer permit areas through Sunday, Nov. 16, and in 100 series deer permit areas through Sunday, Nov. 23, or until the target harvest is met for the zone. The two-day hunt in the east-central zone closed at the end of shooting hours on Sunday, Nov. 9.
The harvest target for the northeast zone during the 2014 early firearms season was 37 wolves. There were 34 registered when the DNR initiated season closure.
Hunters in all zones have registered a total of 83 wolves as of Thursday afternoon. The harvest target is 250 wolves for the entire 2014 season.
2014 season wolf hunters are required to:
- Register all wolves by 10 p.m. the day of harvest in order for the DNR to monitor zone-specific harvest levels. Registration is available via telephone, website or in person.
- Obey zone closures, which become effective the end of legal shooting hours for the day on which a zone is closed.
- Take responsibility for tracking season progress and season/zone closure each morning before hunting by calling888-706-6367 or checking the DNR wolf hunting page at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/wolf. Season status and harvest targets will be updated in real-time for each zone.
- Return any radio collars when they bring wolves in for the mandatory wolf inspection and to bring an ear tag along so that information on the tag can be examined and recorded.
- Present the entire skinned wolf and pelt for inspection as outlined in the wolf hunting regulations so DNR can collect data on wolves for population monitoring.
- Wear blaze orange during open firearms (including muzzleloader) deer season.
Complete wolf hunting information, including a map of the wolf zones, is available online at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/wolf.