Weather Forecast


Editorial: Don’t brush off this winter threat

You could be killing yourself and not know it.

The culprit: carbon monoxide.

Each year about 50,000 people visit emergency rooms in the United States for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and more than 500 die each year from this silent, odorless, colorless gas, according to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).

Unlike other incidents that can send people to the hospital, CO poisoning often happens gradually, without its victims realizing that anything is amiss.

CO can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel-burning devices such as furnaces, water heaters, gas or kerosene space heaters, gas boilers, gas ranges and ovens, gas dryers, charcoal or gas grills, fireplaces and wood stoves, vehicles, and yard equipment, are not properly vented, operated or maintained.

CO is most common in the winter months, when a heating system malfunctions in a home or when a car engine is left running in a garage, according to MDH.

When CO is inhaled into the lungs it displaces the oxygen in the blood stream and affects all major organs and muscles. The higher the concentration of CO, the more rapid the oxygen displacement and the greater the health risk.

Beginning at CO levels of 36-99 parts per million (ppm), symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting and confusion.

Lower levels (5-30 ppm) over extended periods of time may also cause symptoms. At 800 ppm, nausea, dizziness and convulsions may occur, and death can occur within two hours. At 1,600 ppm, death can occur within one hour.

Health experts offer the following tips on how to prevent CO poisoning:

n Install UL-standard CO alarms; Minnesota law requires CO alarms in every single family dwelling and every dwelling in a multifamily dwelling.

n Have a qualified technician inspect your fuel-burning appliances each year to ensure they are adequately vented and properly maintained. CO testing should be part of the inspection.

n Do not idle cars in garages, both attached and unattached, for any length of time. Dangerously high levels of CO will accumulate even if the garage door is open.

n Provide adequate ventilation when using a fireplace, wood stove or space heater.

n Portable propane camping equipment and gas barbecues are approved for outdoor use only. Never use them inside cabins, tents, fish houses, or other enclosed shelters.

n If your car is stuck in snow, make sure that the tail pipe is cleared before starting the engine.

n During power outages, do not use gasoline engines or burn charcoal in enclosed spaces, including garages, even if the door is open.

Every winter, a news story reports the tragic death of a person, a couple or an entire family that succumbs to CO poisoning. Don’t let that happen here. Take the tips seriously and don’t let CO gain the upper hand.


Forum News Service

The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, including the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In addition to breaking and enterprise news, we offer a wide variety of sports, features, business, agriculture, outdoors and opinion content. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.