On Thursday, Aug. 17, state relief funds were made available for Clearwater County. The authorization comes amid significant damage to public infrastructure and high cleanup costs following severe thunderstorms that brought excessive rainfall, high winds, and large hail to the area at the end of July.
In response to the disaster assistance authorization, Sen. Paul Utke (R-Park Rapids) issued the following statement: "I am pleased the state acted swiftly in bringing this needed disaster relief assistance to the communities of Clearwater County," said Sen. Utke. "The area was hit hard by rainfall in excess of three inches, while hail and high winds leveled hundreds of trees and caused significant damage to public property. With this emergency funding, the cities and counties won't have to bear the entire brunt of cleanup costs, freeing up resources to continue providing the everyday services residents rely on."
The disaster authorization will bring an estimated $85,875 in relief to Clearwater County. The
money will come from the State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account, which was established to aid local communities in public infrastructure repairs and cleanup costs following a natural disaster. The state will reimburse 75 percent of those costs, with Clearwater County picking up the remaining 25 percent.
"As always, my office is open year-round should local government officials or area residents need assistance or have any questions," Sen. Utke continued.
Sen. Paul Utke, of Park Rapids, is in his first term representing Senate District 2, which includes
communities in Becker, Beltrami, Clearwater, Hubbard, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Otter Tail, and Wadena counties. He serves as vice chair of the Senate Human Services Reform Finance and Policy Committee.