Weather Forecast


NOAA Special Weather Statement: Critical fire conditions

Turkey fryer causes Fargo garage fire

Flames from an overheated turkey fryer ignited a fire on the roof of a garage Thursday afternoon in a Thanksgiving mishap at a home in south Fargo.

Flames destroyed the roof and door of the garage of a home at 1531 25th Ave. S., causing an estimated $20,000 in damage.

The owner of the home, Ken Schumacher, was heating up the cooker when it flared, Capt. John Speral of the Fargo Fire Department said.

"He hasn't even put his turkey in yet," Speral said. "He went to turn it down, and it flashed." The thermostat apparently was faulty.

Although the cooker was outside the garage, the flames reached the overhanging soffit, Speral said. That was enough to ignite the roof.

Firefighters knocked the fire out before it could spread to the home, which had minor smoke damage. Two vehicles in the garage also sustained minor damage, according to the report.