Propane leak forces evacuation of five buildings in downtown Fargo
A cracked propane tank prompted firefighters to evacuate five downtown buildings this morning, including the Fargo Public Schools administrative offices.
No one was injured, Fargo Fire Capt. Mark Waller said.
Firefighters were called at 7:41 a.m. to the school district's building at 419 3rd St. N.
Waller said Greenberg Roofing workers had been trying to move a cylindrical propane tank away from the building when it tipped into the building, cracking the valve.
The leak was slowed, and the tank was moved to a vacant area where the leak was eventually stopped.
In addition to the district offices, a MeritCare building and an Army Reserve recruiting center also were evacuated, Waller said.
About 100 gallons leaked from the 500-gallon tank, which was about 40 percent full before the leak, he said.
The school district building was aired out to get rid of the propane smell, and staff members were allowed back into the building around 9:30 a.m.