Back to normal at Humane Society
It's back to near normal at the Circle of Friends Humane Society today after a fire Sunday evening.
Arlette Moen, executive director of the private nonprofit that also serves as the official pound for Grand Forks, said the approximately 60 cats and dogs are back in their cages. She and a dozen or more employees and volunteers had moved the animals into carriers after a fire in the ceiling was discovered about 6 p.m. Sunday. Larger dogs were leashed up, ready to be moved if needed.
But the Manvel (N.D.) Volunteer Fire Department quickly put the fire out. The cause appeared to be a boiler, or a pipe, that got to hot, firefighters said.
Moen said she figures insurance will cover the damage but she doesn't have an estimate yet of how much the damage will cost. But the building, just north of Grand Forks, is usable until repairs are made.
A temporary cover today was put over the hole cut in the roof to stop the fire, she said.