Weather Forecast


Fire damages Potato Lake residence

A Park Rapids firefighter backs out of a Garnet Drive home with insulation ripped from the ceiling. (Sarah Smith / Enterprise)

BY Sarah smith

A chimney fire started on Garnet Drive on the east tip of Potato Lake and had to be visited a second time when insulation in the ceiling rekindled late Sunday afternoon.

The home belonged to Jim Hopkins, who neighbors said was in Iowa at the time.

A grandson and family were staying at the home at the time of the fire and called the Park Rapids Fire Department when the home began filling with smoke.

It took about three hours to extinguish the smoke and get fresh air running through the home.

That was shortly before 11 a.m. when firefighters first reported to the scene. Then around 4:30 p.m. a truck returned to extinguish flames when the insulation started burning again.

Fire Chief Donn Hoffman said the fire was small and inconsequential when firefighters first responded. It then traveled up to the ceiling of the home, where it started actively burning.

At that point an ambulance was asked to stand by in case of injuries. There were none.

The living room suffered fairly extensive damage after all the ceiling materials were removed.

Firefighters used extreme patience after several neighbors walked over fire hoses and into the house while the ceiling was being removed.

Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith is the outdoors editor. She covers courts, business and breaking news in addition to outdoors events.

(218) 732-3364