PR schools look to offer free breakfast
Food Service Director Tom Marcussen wants to introduce a free breakfast program in the Park Rapids Area School District.
“The state is encouraging participation,” he said.
He is looking to implement the program in May. Other schools have implemented similar programs and the key is participation, Marcussen said.
“I think it would be a great thing for the community and kids,” he said.
The program would be implemented for grades K-12.
In order for the program to work, participation across the board is necessary. The way the state reimburses meals should make the funding for the program a wash.
“Breakfast is the biggest thing, the most social time of the day,” Marcussen said.
He will be working with staff at the schools in order to implement the program in May. Then it could be adjusted for the 2014-15 school year.
Marcussen also recommended a 10 cent across the board increase for school lunches for the 2014-15 school year.
In other business, the board:
- Heard that Park Rapids Area High School art students are working on a signage project under the direction of Michael Hartung.
The art class would like to design a sign and paint it at the high school and Frank White Education Center.
He approached the school board for direction about the logo and wording.
The board said it would like the signs to say “Park Rapids Area High School” and have a uniform design. Board members will give feedback to Hartung.
Other high school classes will also work on the sign with metal posts and footings done by students in the technology education classes.
- Approved an unrequested leave of absence for English teacher Emily Schueller.
- Approved the retirement of Shirley Potter, secretary, with regret and thanks for her 34 years of dedication to the Park Rapids Area Schools
- Approved hiring Molly Gareis as a middle school science teacher.
- Approved the AFSCME contract.
- Approved a contract with Hildi, Inc. to complete an actuarial study to be in compliance with GASB 43 & 45
- Approved hiring Scott Schafer as a high school counselor.
- Approved an extended medical leave for Lori Cease.
- Approved the 2014-15 school calendar.
- Approved the extra-curricular resignation of Eric Smith as a middle school gymnastics coach
- Approved the extra-curricular new hire of Mike Baumgartner as head boys tennis coach.
- Approved the extra-curricular new hires of Tom Marcussen and Morgan Marcussen as junior high boys golf co-coaches.
- Approved the extra-curricular new hire of Matt Clark as junior high track coach.
- Approved extra-curricular volunteer Robb Warne as a softball coach.
- Approved extra-curricular volunteer Bob Kapsner as a baseball coach.
- Aproved extra-curricular volunteer Tonya Melott as a girls track coach.
- Approved the extra-curricular resignation of Kayla Stursa as an eighth grade girls basketball coach.