Man found dead at Eelpout Festival died of carbon monoxide poisoning


WALKER, Minn. -- A Bemidji man found dead at the International Eelpout Festival on Feb. 25 died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Cass County Sheriff’s Office released the cause of 21-year-old Sam Schooley’s death Wednesday, March 7,  more than a week after Schooley’s body was found in a fish house on Leech Lake.

According to the news release, authorities received a report of an unresponsive male in the fish house at about 8:52 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 25, the last day of the festival. Schooley was taken to a hospital in Park Rapids, where he was pronounced dead.

The autopsy was completed by the Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office.