Weather Forecast


Deer Creek man sent to federal prison for identity theft

A 57-year-old Deer Creek man has been sentenced for using the identity of another person when applying for a passport.

Frank Chester Brown will spend 30 months in federal prison on one count of making false statements in a U.S. passport application, one count of false representation of a Social Security number, and one count of aggravated identity theft.

According to a release from the U.S. Attorney's Office, Brown was indicted on November 8, 2011, and pleaded guilty on March 2. He was sentenced July 26 in federal court in Duluth by U.S. District Court Judge Richard H. Kyle.

In his plea agreement, Brown admitted that on June 29, 2004, he made a false statement in the passport application by providing the name, Social Security number, date and place of birth of some-one else. He admitted that since 1993 he had been using the identity of someone he knew without their knowledge. It was that stolen identity he used on the passport application.

In support of his application, Brown presented an expired passport with the same false name. Authorities became suspicious of his application after the victim of applied for a passport on May 3, 2010.

In addition, Brown admitted that in 1994 he fraudulently obtained a Social Security card number using the stolen identity but a different birth date.

In support of his application for the card, he submitted fraudulent documents, including an altered version of the victim's birth certificate. The Social Security Administration issued the card. Brown also used the card in a credit application for a motorcycle loan from a bank.

Brown, who was considered armed and dangerous, fled authorities and was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service on October 5, 2011, in Alabama. He remains in custody.

This case was the result of an investigation by the U.S. State Department Diplomatic Security Service, the Social Security Administration Office of Inspector General, the U.S. Marshals Service, the Henning Police Department, the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office, and the Richland County, N.D. Sheriff's Office.

It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Lola Velazquez-Aguilu.