AARP Foundation tax aid program now taking reservations locally
The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program is now located at the Park Rapids Area Library at 210 First Street West.
Aides will be preparing tax returns on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays beginning Feb. 1 through April 14 in the large conference room in the basement of the library. The entrance is handicapped accessible and there is an elevator available to those in need.
Appointment calls will be taken Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. To schedule your appointment, please contact Tammie Hilden at 218-252-3505. Individuals and families will be given information about program eligibility for Food Support, Energy Assistance, Earned Income Tax Credit and other financial assistance programs.
When preparing for your appointment, please bring the following documents with you:
1. Photo ID
2. Social Security cards for all members of your household
4. 1099s (INT, DIV, MISC, R, B, etc.)
6. Brokerage statements
7. Dependent care receipts
8. K-12 school supplies receipts
9. College education receipts
10. Social Security
11. SSI received
12. County monies received
13. Copy of last year's return
14. All documents that have any federal and/or state withholdings
15. Self-employment information
16. All documents that you will be using if you are itemizing
17. Medical miles
18. Volunteer miles
19. Property tax statement for 2012
20. Certificate of rent paid for 2011
21. Your bank's routing number and your account number for direct deposit.
With the help of 35,000 volunteers nationwide, donations, and the cooperation of businesses, this program is offered to low to moderate income taxpayers and the elderly. FREE general tax counseling, professionally prepared tax returns, electronic filing of their returns, and follow-ups based on individual tax needs is provided. Approximately 2.6 million taxpayers each year receive services from this intensive program nationwide.
AARP Tax-Aide is a pro-gram of the AARP Foundation, offered in cooperation with the IRS.
AARP Foundation is AARP's affiliated charity. The Foundation is dedicated to serving vulnerable people 50+ by creating solutions that help them secure the essentials and achieve their best life. AARP Foundation focuses on: hunger, housing, income and isolation. Foundation programs are funded by grants, tax-deductible contributions and AARP.