Weather Forecast


Akeley man allegedly assaults state trooper, leads law enforcement in high-speed chase through Hubbard County

Elijah Lee Knowles

Elijah Lee Knowles, 26, of Akeley was arraigned on six felony counts and three gross misdemeanors in district court Monday following allegedly assaulting a state trooper followed by a high-speed chase early Saturday morning.

According to the complaint, Trooper Darcy Gagnon stopped Knowles' vehicle on Highway 34 just east of the Dorset Corner at approximately 1:30 a.m. After performing a sobriety test that showed a .143 blood alcohol concentration, Gagnon arrested Knowles for driving while intoxicated (DWI).

As Gagnon was attempting to handcuff Knowles, he resisted and assaulted the trooper, according to the complaint. Knowles was able to get to Gagnon's Taser and beat her on the head several times, causing a laceration, the complaint states.

Knowles put the Taser to the trooper's head and pulled the trigger but the safety was on and did not fire, according to the complaint.

Knowles tried to take the trooper's sidearm but back-up officers arrived on the scene. He then fled in his vehicle at speeds in excess of 110 mph, including through Nevis, where he attempted to ram a patrol car and sped through several stop signs.

The pursuit continued south to CSAH 33 and Knowles tried to ram a second patrol car, according to the complaint.

The pursuit ended when Knowles went through a stop sign at Highway 34 and 200th Street (CSAH 33), crashing his vehicle.

Knowles got out of the car, resisting arrest by Hubbard County deputies Adam Williams and Jeff Stacey. The deputies used mace and arm bars to secure Knowles in handcuffs. Other officers arrived to assist the deputies.

As Knowles was being put in the patrol car, he kicked one of the officers in the chest, according to the complaint.

Gagnon was treated at St. Joseph's Area Health Services where she required staples to close the head wound she received as a result of the assault by Knowles.

During the arraignment, Knowles stated, the "charges were trumped up. It wasn't," then he stopped, saying, "That's all."

Judge Paul Rasmussen set bail at $250,000 and scheduled a court date for 1:15 p.m. Monday, Nov. 7.