Weather Forecast


Park Rapids Fire chief cautions summer grillers after ember sparks house fire Friday

The Weber grill at left is suspected of causing extensive fire damage to this Hubbard home Friday. (Sarah Smith / Enterprise)

A Friday morning fire believed to have started from the ember of a Weber grill caused extensive damage to a Hubbard home.

Park Rapids Fire Chief Donn Hoffman said grills "have no place" on house decks. It's just too unsafe.

"He would have been OK but the wind probably sparked one of the embers," Hoffman said.

The fire extensively damaged the home's vinyl siding, then crept up into the eaves, where it did more damage.

"You just don't know what's beneath your deck," Hoffman said. "Dried leaves and branches" that can ignite quickly.

The family used the grill earlier in the evening, Hoffman said. The fire was called in around 2:30 a.m.

Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith is the outdoors editor. She covers courts, business and breaking news in addition to outdoors events.

(218) 732-3364