Weather Forecast


County Government & Related Services

    Hubbard County is governed by the County Board of Commissioners, elected by district. The board meets twice a month, on the first and third Wednesdays, at 9 a.m. in the boardroom on the lower level of the courthouse in Park Rapids.The county has a Website at that contains information on all departments, county ordinances, employment opportunities, lake maps, parcel maps and more.

    All employees listed below may be reached by e-mail. Their addresses are the first letter of their first names and full last names followed by the county address, for example,

Department managers

Ag Inspector/Parks andRecreation

    Greg Hensel, 732-4270


    Robert Hansen, 237-3452


    Donovan Dearstyne, 732-4133


    Pam Heeren, 732-3196

Coordinator/Human ResourcesManager

    Debbie Thompson, 732-2310

Court Administrator

    Loretta J. Wiebolt, 732-3573

Emergency Management

    Brian Halbasch, 732-3331

Public Works Coordinator

    David Olsonawski, 732-3302

Environmental Services

    Eric Buitenwerf, 732-3890


    Sally Shearer, Coordinator, 732-3391

Heritage Living Center

    Kurt Hansen, 732-3329

NaturalResource Management

    Mark Lohmeier, 732-4270

License Bureau

    Pam Heeren, 732-3426

Maintenance Supervisor

    Lee Gwiazdon, 732-2253

Probation Officer

    Joe Peterson, 732-9343


    Nicole Lueth, 732-3552


    Cory Aukes, 732-3331

Social Services Director

    Daryl Bessler, 732-1451

Solid Waste Officer

    Vern Massie, 732-9568

Veterans Service Officer

    Gregory Remus, 732-3135

    (The Veterans Service Office is located at the Extension Office at the fairgrounds in Park Rapids. Probation is located in the old Law Enforcement Center with entry on Front Avenue.)


    Hubbard County has a Shoreland Management Ordinance which has jurisdiction over lands located within 1,000 feet of a classified lake and 500 feet from a classified river or stream.

    A building permit is necessary for all structures and for all legal additions to existing structures.

    A shoreland alteration permit is required for rock riprap and most grading, excavating, or filling projects in shoreland areas.

    A current compliance inspection for Individual Septic Treatment Systems (ISTS) must be on file prior to issuance of any residential building permits.

    Hubbard County has an ISTS ordinance, which requires sanitary permits for all new installations and repairs, alterations and extensions of existing on-site sewage systems. A site evaluation and complete design must be submitted for approval prior to the issuance of a sanitary permit. The ordinance covers the design, location, installation, use and maintenance of individual sewage treatment systems.

    Privies (outhouses) are allowed, provided they are maintained in a clean condition and do not constitute a public nuisance. Privies require a site evaluation design and a sanitary permit.

    Before work begins in any wetland area, contact Shane Foley at the HubbardCounty Soil and Water Conservation District office, 732-0121.

    The Environmental Services Office is located on the second floor of the courthouse in Park Rapids. For more information call 732-3890 or go to the Website at

Transfer stations

    South Transfer Station is located at 812 Henrietta Ave. So. (east on Highway 34, then south approximately one-half mile on County Road 6). Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Call 732-9181.

    North Transfer Station is located at 41304 Highway 71, one mile north of the junction of Highways 71 and 200 (Kabekona Corner). Hours are 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Call 218-224-2100.

    Both stations are closed Sundays and holidays.

    Both sites accept all solid waste and serve as drop-off sites for recyclables and demolition debris. In addition, the following items are accepted at no charge: fluorescent light bulbs, used oil and oil filters, furniture, white goods (stoves, refrigerators, etc.), brush/diseased tree waste and car and truck tires. Lawn clippings, leaves, garden debris and vegetable waste and peelings are accepted and composted. Composted material is available free for residents to use in lawns and gardens.

    Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) and button (watches, hearing aids, cameras) batteries may be dropped off at the recycling center. Lead acid batteries should be turned in where new batteries are purchased or may be dropped off at the transfer station. General household batteries (Alkaline AA, A, C, D) may be disposed of in the trash.

    Recycling of electronics, such as computer monitors, televisions and telephones (any items with a display) is mandatory. They must be brought to the transfer station, not to the recycling center or drop sheds.

    Questions concerning proper disposal of household hazardous waste and others may be directed to the Solid Waste Management Office, 732-9568, toll-free at 877-439-0591 or by e-mail to

    Hubbard County Recycling accepts aluminum, glass, steel and tin food cans, most plastic, newspapers, magazines, catalogs and phone books, office paper and junk mail, cardboard and clothing. Aluminum, steel, tin, glass and plastic may be commingled in one bag or container.

    Drop off sites are the North and South Transfer Stations and the following locations: Lake George Town Hall, Laporte Third Base, Hubbard Community Center,Becida Bar &Grill, Arago Town Hall, MJSaloon, Akeley (behind the liquor store), White Oak Town Hall in Chamberlain, Nevis County Public Works Lot, Hardware store inBenedict and Blue Moon Saloon as well as J&BFoods, Park ACE Hardware, Coborns (back parking lot) and the WalMart parking lot in Park Rapids. Sheds for recyclables are open at all times.

    Curbside pickup is provided in Park Rapids, Akeley and Nevis monthly.

    For information on recyclables, call 732-1468.

Licensed garbage haulers

Park Rapids area

    Waste Management of Bemidji, 751 Industrial Park Dr. SE, Bemidji, MN 56601; 218-751-1668.

Park Rapids, Akeley, Nevis and Lake George

    Dale Anderson, City Sanitary Service, PO Box 369, Park Rapids, MN 56470; 732-9018.

Park Rapids, Nevis

    Northern Pines Sanitation, 15530 139th Ave., Park Rapids, MN 56470; 732-6767.

Akeley, Nevis and Benedict

    Dan Ihrke, City Sanitary Service, PO Box 218, Walker, MN 56484; 218-547-3633.

Laporte, Benedict, Becida, Guthrie

    Thomas Hallett, Toms Sanitation, 39457 257th Ave.,  Laporte, MN 56461; 218-224-3460.


    Schopper Disposal Service, POBox 261, Cass Lake, MN 56633; 335-6349.

    American Disposal, POBox 368, Deer River, MN 56636; 218-246-8729.

    Waste Management, 511 West Hwy. 2, Cohasset, MN55721; 218-328-6212.

Park Rapids, Akeley and Nevis

    Boxter Incorporated, 22091 Co. Rd. 2, Nevis, MN 56467; 652-4724.

Social Services

    The Hubbard County Social Services Department is the largest service agency in the county. The department is located in the Hubbard County Courthouse, 301 Court Ave., Park Rapids. The phone is 732-1451; Fax number is 732-3231. Services provided include:

    Adoption: Limited services provided.

    Assessment: Appraisal of an individuals or family's condition or problems in order to determine which services are needed.

    Case Management: The coordination and monitoring of services to meet needs of clients and their families.

    Chemical Dependency Treatment: Treatment for chemical abuses for all types.

    Child Support Services: Assist in the collection of unpaid child support obligations.

    Community Education and Prevention: Activities designed to educate the public or special high risk target groups about problems associated with mental illness, chemical dependency, developmental disabilities, child welfare or other problems; to increase the understanding and acceptance of these problems; to increase peoples awareness of the availability of services; to improve peoples skills in dealing with high risk situations.

    Home-Delivered Meals: Provision of meals to persons who are homebound. This service is provided by Lutheran Social Services.

    Counseling Services: Personal problems, marital problems, family problems.

    Day Care: License providers and subsidize the cost of day care for low-income families.

    Developmental Achievement Center: Services provided to developmentally disabled directed at the development and maintenance of life skills and community integration that includes supervision and training in the areas of vocational skills acquisition and work.

    Detoxification: Short term residential protective service for those in need of detoxification to facilitate access into a comprehensive care treatment program.

    Emergency Placement: Short term residential protective setting for persons in need of detoxification, or for runaway youths, abused family members or other persons in crisis situations.

    Extended Employment: Programs providing paid work and services as a step in rehabilitation for those who cant be readily absorbed in the labor market.

    Family-Based Services: Services designed to alleviate individual and family dysfunction through the provision of services that will provide an alternative to placing a child out of their home.

    Food Support Program: Federal program providing qualified people with resources to purchase food.

    Foster Care: For children and adults - providing a temporary or long-term place to live for those living in an emotionally or physically damaging environment.

    General Assistance Medical Care: Provides medical assistance to qualified adults without children and who are between the ages of 21 and 65.

    General Assistance Program: A temporary cash assistance program for qualified adults unable to perform any work activities.

    Home Health Aide: Funding of supervised medical care in the individuals home.

    Information and Referral: Directions to the appropriate agency that can provide assistance.

    Legal Services: Assistance in resolving civil legal matters and the protection of legal rights.

    Licensing and Resource Development: Licensing of foster homes and day care homes in order to ensure the availability of these services and resources.

    Medical Assistance Program: Provides medical assistance to low-income families with dependent children, the disabled and those older than 65.

    MinnesotaCare: Provides medical assistance to qualified individuals whose income or assets exceed Medical Assistance/General Assistance MedicalCare limits for a monthly premium.

    Minnesota Family Investment Plan (MFIP): Money grants available for qualified families with dependent children. There is a lifetime limit of 60 months of assistance. The program also has a work emphasis.

    Minnesota Supplemental Aid: Cash assistance to qualified individuals age 65 or older who are receiving Supplemental Security Income or would be eligible for SSI except for excess income.

    Money Management: Assistance to eligible handicapped individuals in the management of income so that they are able to obtain a stable level of economic functioning within the limits of their present financial resources.

    Long Term Care Consultation Services: Assessment of a persons overall care needs by a county screening team in order to determine whether community care or nursing home care is appropriate.

    Outpatient Treatment: Clinical activities such as individual, family and group therapy for those experiencing mental health and/or chemical dependency problems.

    Personal Care: Medically oriented tasks which are prescribed by a physician and supervised by a registered nurse and are part of a written plan of care.

    Protection Services: Help for children and vulnerable adults to insure individual rights and safety.

    Residential Treatment: Treatment and help for those chemically dependent, emotionally disturbed or mentally retarded - children and adults.

    Respite: Short-term care provided to individuals due to the absence or need for relief of those persons normally providing the care.

    Screening: Assessment of an individuals overall care needs, to determine whether community, nursing home or other institutional care is appropriate.

Related service providers

Headwaters Intervention Center

    Serving the community since 1978, Headwaters Intervention Center provides advocacy, education, violence prevention and crisis intervention. Programs include Hubbard County Battered Womens Services, Sojourners Home (transitional housing), a camp program, Kids Support Services, SAFE Parks, Home Again Furniture center, a school supply program that provides book bags to students and other services.

    Call the Park Rapids office at 732-7413. The 24-hour crisis line number is 800-939-2199.

Stellher Human Services

    Provides family services, including assistance in developing parenting skills with a severely emotionally disabled child, professional home-based family treatment, foster care with therapeutic support services and assistance in locating respite care and special needs day care as well as day treatment. Stellher Human Services is located in Bemidji but offers services in Hubbard County. Call 218-444-2845.

Upper Mississippi Mental Health Center

    Established in 1962, the Upper Mississippi Mental Health Center (UMMHC) is the largest and most comprehensive provider of behavioral health services in the region. Licensed independent clinical social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists and advanced practice nurses serve children, individuals, couples and families as well as local agencies. UMMHC participates in most health insurance programs, accepts Medical Assistance and Medicare and receives county and state funds to help with the cost of services for those who do not have insurance.

    UMMH Chas offices in Park Rapids and Bemidji. Call 732-7266 in Park Rapids or 218-751-3280 in Bemidji or go to For emergency mental health services, call 800-422-0863.

Lake Country Associates, Inc.

    Lake Country Associates, Inc., providing community mental health services, opened in 2010 at 515 Bridge St. East in Park Rapids. The clinic works with all ages, children to elderly. Staff works with people on life adjustments from grief to loss to severe metal illness. Call 218-366-9229 or go to