Weather Forecast


Home near Boot Lake hit by lightning

A Boot Lake area home burned to the ground early Sunday morning after apparently being struck by lightning during a ferocious thunderstorm.

Assistant Park Rapids Fire Chief Terry Long said firefighters were called to a home on County Road 46 around 2:30 a.m. when homeowner Steven Wiekamp came home to find his house in flames.

The home is likely a total loss, Long said.

Meanwhile a Hubbard log home that burned to the ground Saturday afternoon may have started from a propane refrigerator on the front deck of the home.

Two of the family's dogs perished in the blaze.

Fire chief Donn Hoffman said an open flame fuels the compressor for the unit. Due to high winds or dirt clogging the intake, Hoffman said the flame ignited the cabin, which burned to the ground on Blue Wolf Drive west of Hubbard.

The home is owned by Taylor Schwartz. It is a seasonal residence, occupied briefly in the summer, Hoffman said the homeowners told him.

Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith is the outdoors editor. She covers courts, business and breaking news in addition to outdoors events.

(218) 732-3364