Weather Forecast


Seats open on Soil & Water Conservation District board

Individuals concerned about water quality and soil erosion in Hubbard County should consider filing by June 1 to run for the position of Supervisor of the Hubbard County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD).

Supervisors play an important role in how our community deals with a wide variety of resource management issues, including wetlands, water quality, and soil erosion. Serving as a supervisor is an opportunity for people who want a voice in managing our environment.

SWCDs are special purpose units of government that manage and direct conservation programs, such as the state Cost-Share Program, Hubbard County Local Water Management Plan, and the Wetland Conservation Act. An elected board of Supervisors governs each of Minnesota's 90 SWCDs.

This year, the Hubbard County SWCD has two Supervisor positions up for election. SWCD candidates appear on the ballot for the general election which will take place November 2, 2010. [Except for Washington Conservation District] Candidates are elected county wide, but must reside in one of the nomination districts up for election.

These are District 4 which includes the town-ships of Henrietta and Hubbard west of CSAH 11 and Todd and Straight River townships; and District 5 which takes in Hubbard and Henrietta townships east of CSAH 11 along with Nevis, White Oak, Crow Wing and Badoura townships. SWCD Supervisors serve four year terms.

Supervisors meet monthly to discuss the business of the SWCD, including state grant allocations to landowners, district conservation priorities, coordination with other local units of government and state agencies, and legislative priorities.

Supervisors do not receive a salary, although they do receive compensation for attending meetings and are reimbursed for expenses.

Those interested in running for Supervisor should file at the County Auditor's office from May 18 through June 1, 2010. Additional information about the SWCD can be obtained by visiting their web site at or calling the office at 218-732-0121.