Weather Forecast


Osage chimney fire causes minimal damage; quickly extinguished

The chimney on this rural mobile home caught fire during the early morning hours Tuesday. It was quickly extinguished by Park Rapids firefighters. (Sarah Smith/Enterprise)

Park Rapids firefighters quickly doused a chimney fire at a rural Osage mobile home Tuesday morning with help from Straight Lake.

The home on Washington Drive suffered minimal damage, firefighters said.

They replenished their trucks with water from the nearby lake, using an auger to drill below the thick ice.

Carsonville firefighters arrived on the scene but were sent home when it was clear they were not needed.

"Anything that's close like that, we usually call in mutual aid," said assistant fire chief Terry Long.

The fire, on an attached porch, had been contained before 7 a.m.

Long said the rental home was owned by Steve Pachel.

"There was pretty minimal damage," he said. There was no visible damage to the exterior of the porch or the home.

Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith is the outdoors editor. She covers courts, business and breaking news in addition to outdoors events.

(218) 732-3364