Weather Forecast


Foul! Snowmobile charges into side of Willmar's bus

It could have had a tragic outcome, but only a snowmobile was destroyed and a bus load of basketball players were delayed getting home Friday night.

The school bus carrying the Cardinals girls home after beating St. Cloud Tech was headed southwest through Cold Spring on State Highway 23 at 10 p.m.

A startling sound interrupted the trip just after the bus passed through the traffic signal and past the Super America store at the main intersection.

"What was that?" bus driver Sheldon Loven asked head coach Brad Atchison.

"I don't know, but I think we hit something," replied the coach.

Actually, something had hit the bus. A snowmobile had broadsided the middle of the bus on the driver's side.

The bus pulled to the side of the road and Atchison and the veteran driver got out.

"I saw a snowmobile on the highway," said the coach. "It was crushed. I feared the worst."

Fortunately, the operator, a teenager crossing from the Blue Heron parking lot, was all right.

"He was a young kid," said Atchison. "He bailed out before it hit and the sled went under the bus. He was basically unharmed."

The boy, according to Atchison, said that he just didn't see the bus until the last instance as he crossed the four- lane highway.

The state police, with assistance from the Cold Spring police, investigated.

State police dispatch in St. Cloud said the accident report listed the owner of the 1995 Arctic Cat as Austin Undersander, age 16, and that he was not injured.

The left rear tire blew as it mashed the snowmobile. A back-up bus was called from Willmar Bus Service.

The entire matter meant a 90-minute delay for the coaching staff and the three teams on board -- freshman and "B" squad, in addition to the varsity. The outdoor air was frigid but the idled bus stayed warm, said Atchison.

Atchison, who began coaching at Clara City in 1977, said the bus accident was a first for him.

Willmar Bus Service owner Ken Inselmann said that the next day the damaged tire was changed and the bus returned to Willmar.

Players didn't get home until about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, still plenty of time to rest up for a 3 p.m. game against Bemidji later in the day.

Though the team sustained its first lost, the Cardinals played as well as any time this season.

However, after losing again on Tuesday, the head coach said a "Snowmobile Exorcism" is under consideration.