Weather Forecast


Stabbing victims ends up in police custody

Duluth stabbing

A man was stabbed in Lakeside early Friday morning after he allegedly attempted to strangle his girlfriend, according to Duluth police, and a strange journey led to his eventual arrest.

The 21-year-old man was arrested Friday afternoon for domestic assault by strangulation, a felony.

Duluth public information officer Brad Wick said it appears that shortly before 6 a.m. at 4117 E. Superior St., the suspect's girlfriend stabbed him in self-defense during a domestic dispute. She called police after he left to report what had happened and that he had left the residence.

A man waiting at a bus stop on 40th Avenue East and Superior Street about 6 a.m. said a man in his late 20s or early 30s wearing a blood-stained white T-shirt staggered past him holding his right side.

"He was walking strange, like he had been stabbed," Randy Raymond said. "The guy just walked off. I asked him if he wanted me to call an ambulance, and he said no."

Raymond, who said he witnessed two police cars stop at a house near 40th Avenue East and Superior Street, got on a Duluth Transit Authority bus shortly after his encounter with the injured man. The man holding his side caught the bus two blocks later at 38th Avenue East.

Raymond said the bus driver looked concerned when the injured man entered the bus, asked him if he was OK and dialed 911. Raymond said the driver was told by police they were taking care of the matter.

"He [the bus driver] asked him what hospital he needed to get to," said Raymond, who said he went to the police station before stopping at the News Tribune Friday morning. "There was a lot of blood on his right side."

Raymond said there were about six people on the bus and one rider attempted to shake hands with the injured man.

"He said, 'I can't shake your hand right now. I'm bleeding,' " Raymond said.

The suspect was treated at St. Luke's hospital and released into police custody with nonlife-threatening injuries. He is being housed in the St. Louis County Jail.

Wick said it wasn't likely the suspect's girlfriend would be charged with a crime, but the incident remains under investigation.