Park Rapids school board approves coaching hires
The Park Rapids Area School Board at its most recent meeting approved the new hires of Joel Steffel, assistant girls basketball coach; Aaron Morris, junior high girls basketball coach; and Megan Cole, C-squad girls basketball coach.
The board also approved the resignation of Brenda Johnson after 16 years of service with the middle school special education department.
Donations received and appreciated included art supplies from Dale Kind to the middle school art department, face shields and safety glasses from RDO to the industrial tech department, 1993 Chevy Lumina from Ken Sjoberg to the industrial tech department, and 1987 Ford pickup from Lloyd and Linda Harless to the industrial tech department.
Board member Gary Gauldin participated in the Minnesota School Board Association's Delegate Assembly on Dec. 3.
The MSBA Delegate Assembly, comprised of 142 public school board members from across the state, debated and voted on legislative resolutions to help set MSBA's legislative agenda for the 2017 session.
Among the resolutions, the MSBA Delegate Assembly urged the Minnesota Legislature to:
• Provide permanent and full funding for the Telecommunications/Internet Access Equity Aid Program
• Stabilize education funding by reducing the education cross-subsidy by 25 percent
• Create a new funding stream for Advanced Placement, College in the Schools and other college credit programs for high school students
• Review decisions by MnSCU with regard to college affordability and to consider funding other Minnesota state colleges and universities to replicate 18 Online for statewide access by dual credit concurrent enrollment high school teachers
• Consolidate all teacher licensure activities into one state entity
• Support policies that will help attract and retain teachers