Victim in polka-dot house fire in Grand Forks dies
GRAND FORKS - The lone victim in the fire at the famous polka-dot house here has died, the Fire Department said today.
Firefighters were dispatched to 523 University Ave. at 10:48 p.m. Feb. 9. All the tenants had evacuated, except John Rodney Dillon Davis, 40.
He was taken to Altru Hospital and transferred to Regions Medical Center in St. Paul, where he died.
The department determined the fire was caused by smoking in a room on the second floor. The blaze left considerable damage to that floor.
The house gained some Internet fame when its owners painted it in polka dots in last year.