Weather Forecast

Debbie Brattlof, Carol Wright, Kay Smythe and Tammie Hilden are IRS certified AARP Tax Aide volunteers in Park Rapids. They will be available to help individuals prepare their tax returns starting Feb. 1. (Anna Erickson / Enterprise)

Tax volunteers available for free filing help Feb.1

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Park Rapids, 56470
Park Rapids Enterprise
(218) 732-8757 customer support
Park Rapids Minnesota PO Box 111 56470

Free tax help is available to those who need assistance preparing their 2010 income tax returns.

IRS certified AARP Tax Aide volunteers will be available to help individuals prepare their tax returns starting Feb. 1. This year's volunteers are Debbie Brattlof, Carol Wright, Kay Smythe and Tammie Hilden. They will be available at the following locations and times:


n Mahube Community Council, 120 North Central Avenue, Park Rapids, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. starting Feb. 1

n Park Rapids Area Library, 210 First Street West, Park Rapids, Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. starting Feb. 5.

Volunteers will begin taking appointments after Jan. 19. Call 732-7204 for an appointment at either location. Do not call for an appointment unless all paperwork is together.

The assistance is available to people of all ages with basic individual tax returns, particularly the elderly and those with low to moderate income ($50,000 and under). E-filing is available and encouraged at both locations.

Those seeking assistance should bring the following to their appointment:

n A valid picture ID.

n A Social Security card or Tax Identification Number card for anyone shown on the tax return. (This is a required item this year).

n W-2 forms and 1099 forms or any other forms showing income earned, including pensions, Social Security, interest, dividends; a copy of last year's tax forms; evidence of deductible expenses such as charitable contributions, mortgage interest, medical expenses; property tax statements and/or residential rent certificates.

n If individuals are receiving Social Security benefits they must bring form SSA1099, which should be received this month indicating a person's total Social Security benefits for 2010. If a person receives SSI, a request needs to be made for SSI income verification from the Social Security Administration.

Anna Erickson
Anna Erickson is editor of the Wadena Pioneer Journal.
(218) 631-2561