Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Ronald Matthew Quiceno

Suspect in custody after Becker County shootings

Email

DETROIT LAKES, Minn. - A 38-year-old man was arrested Saturday afternoon after two men were shot, one fatally, earlier that day.

Ronald Matthew Quiceno was arrested without incident Saturday at his Detroit Lakes residence and booked on probable cause of second-degree murder and other related charges.

Advertisement

According to authorities, shortly after 1 a.m., Quiceno and the two victims argued at a residence in the Kountry Manner Mobile Home Court in Detroit Lakes. When asked to leave, Quiceno retrieved a .22-caliber revolver from his vehicle then came back into the home and shot the two victims.

Travis Dwayne Buckanaga, 23, of Detroit Lakes, died at Essentia Health St. Mary's in Detroit Lakes. Barris Duane Guy, 26, of Detroit Lakes, was taken to Sanford Medical Center in Fargo, with non-life threatening injuries.

Quiceno was booked into the Becker County Jail and will likely be charged early this week.

Authorities didn't say what the argument was about.

Quiceno has no criminal history in North Dakota or Minnesota, according to online court records.

According to one neighbor, Quiceno did have an explosive temper. Isaac Thomas said he tried being nice to him when Quiceno moved in in September 2011, but that twice he came over and was verbally abusive.

"He chewed me up one side and down the other," Thomas said Saturday night. "I tried to stay away from him."

The last time they talked, Quiceno offered to help Thomas with some work, but Thomas declined.

"I thought, 'No, no. I don't want nothing to do with you,' " Thomas said.

Still, Thomas was surprised to hear that Quiceno had been arrested for shooting someone.

The Becker County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shootings with the assistance of the Detroit Lakes Police Dep

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement