Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

MnDOT no travel advisement in northwestern expanded as snow plows are pulled off area highways

Advertisement
The Weber grill at left is suspected of causing extensive fire damage to this Hubbard home Friday. (Sarah Smith / Enterprise)

Park Rapids Fire chief cautions summer grillers after ember sparks house fire Friday

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
News Park Rapids,Minnesota 56470 http://www.parkrapidsenterprise.com/sites/default/files/styles/square_300/public/fieldimages/22/0304/webweberfireh.jpg?itok=wQ4ktOBG
Park Rapids Enterprise
(218) 732-8757 customer support
Park Rapids Fire chief cautions summer grillers after ember sparks house fire Friday
Park Rapids Minnesota PO Box 111 56470

A Friday morning fire believed to have started from the ember of a Weber grill caused extensive damage to a Hubbard home.

Park Rapids Fire Chief Donn Hoffman said grills "have no place" on house decks. It's just too unsafe.

Advertisement

"He would have been OK but the wind probably sparked one of the embers," Hoffman said.

The fire extensively damaged the home's vinyl siding, then crept up into the eaves, where it did more damage.

"You just don't know what's beneath your deck," Hoffman said. "Dried leaves and branches" that can ignite quickly.

The family used the grill earlier in the evening, Hoffman said. The fire was called in around 2:30 a.m.

Advertisement
Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith is the outdoors editor. She covers courts, business and breaking news in addition to outdoors events.

(218) 732-3364
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness