Nevis home burns to the ground overnight
A rural Nevis home was engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived on the scene about 11:15 p.m. Monday.
"There were propane tanks exploding and it was fully engulfed," said Nevis firefighter Ron Leyba.
Nevis firefighters called in Akeley on a mutual aid request. Seventeen firefighters remained through the night.
The cause of the fire, at 25538 Hillview Road, is under investigation by the state fire marshal's office.
Leyba and several firefighters got two hours of sleep and returned to the scene early Tuesday morning to put more water on the smoldering ruins. The home is owned by Scott Polzin, who was not home at the time.
Leyba said it burned into the nearby woods surrounding the house.
"We were lucky it rained or we would really have had some trouble," he said.
Nevis fire chief Kerry Swenson said the fire marshal was on the scene late Monday and was due to return to the scene sometime Tuesday.
"The house had pretty much started to collapse by the time we got there so it had quite a jump on us," said Swenson. "Something got it going good."
Swenson said the house "was all done in knotty pine and it burns like paper once it's dry."
The fire was still of undetermined origin when the Enterprise went to press Tuesday.
'It's going to smolder for days," Swenson said.