Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Firefighters used hoses big and small to quell a grass fire east of Nevis Tuesday afternoon. (Sarah Smith / Enterprise)

Nevis grass fire extinguished; homeowner cited

Email News Alerts

Nevis firefighters doused a grass fire Tuesday afternoon caused by a homeowner who'd dumped the ashes from his wood stove on a debris pile hours earlier.

Advertisement

"I guess there must have been some cinders still in there," said Romke Zylstra, who lives off Highway 34 east of Nevis.

"When I got home I saw the smoke and thought my barn was on fire," Zylstra said. "The wife had already called the fire department."

The DNR issued Zylstra a citation for starting the fire.

Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet? https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=40&event=subscriber/lookup.

You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at subscriberservices@forumcomm.com and we can help you.

Advertisement
Sarah Smith
Sarah Smith is the outdoors editor. She covers courts, business and breaking news in addition to outdoors events.
(218) 732-3364
Advertisement
randomness