MnDOT announces 20 local and regional road projects for this year, including Highway 34 resurfacing
Multiple area road projects were announced by the Minnesota Department of Transportation Thursday, including projects for U.S. Highway 71 south of Bemidji and Highway 34 between Park Rapids and Akeley.
There are 258 state highway construction projects in all. All projects will total nearly $900 million.
In District 2 (Bemidji/Crookston), there are 20 projects planned, including the Highway 34 project, which will involve a detour.
Other regional projects slated for this year include:
- U.S. Highway 71 from county roads 9 to 404 south of Bemidji will be resurfaced, have turn lanes, signal lights installed and a bridge constructed. The work is planned from June to September and will involve a temporary bypass and minor lane closures.
- Highway 71 from Northome to Margie will be resurfaced and have culverts replaced from July to August. Lane closures are planned with a pilot car.
- Highway 34 between Park Rapids and Akeley will be resurfaced, get new turn lanes and have culverts replaced between June and September. A detour is planned.
- Highway 1 in Red Lake west of the Clearwater County line will have a bridge replaced between April and May. Impacts should be minor.
- Highway 64 from the south junction to the north junction of Highway 87 will be resurfaced. Lane closures are planned with a pilot car.
- Highway 72 from Waskish to more than 11 miles north will be resurfaced and have culverts replaced from July to August. Lane closers are planned with flaggers and a pilot car.
- Highway 89 from Grygla to eight miles west of Fourtown will be resurfaced. A timeline has not been announced. Lane closures are planned.
- Highway 220 between highways 1, 11 and 317 will be resurfaced and have culverts replaced from June to August. Lane restrictions and a detour are planned.
- Highway 1 between Oslo and Warren will be resurfaced between May and June. Impacts should be minor.
- Highway 2 east of Crookston will be resurfaced between May and June. Impacts should be minor.
- Highway 2 in Crookston will have curb ramps constructed and signal lights installed in July and August. The impact should be minor.
- Highway 9 south of Borup will have culvers replaced in June. There will be a detour involved.
- Highway 9 in Polk and Norman counties will be surfaced and have culverts replaced between June and August. A detour is planned.
- Highway 11 from highway 72 to Clementson will be resurfaced, have its shoulders widened and culverts replaced. The project is planned to last from September until August 2012. A detour is planned.
- Highway 11 in Clementson will have a bridge constructed and undergo deck, turf and erosion control in May and June. Lane closures are planned.
- Highway 75 from Stephen to Donaldson will be resurfaced in September. Single lane closures are planned.
- Highway 75 from Climax to Crookston will be resurfaced, have turn lanes installed and culverts replaced from July to August. A detour is planned.
- Highway 75 south of Shelby, which had a bridge replaced last year, will continue with the application of a final surface on the bridge deck, painting and landscape work. A detour is planned.
- Unspecified "various" highways will undergo intersection lighting and upgraded signing throughout the fall. Minor lane restrictions are planned.
Other, non-regional projects will include the Highway 169/Interstate 494 interchange in the Twin Cities and the second year of the bridge and pavement replacement on a section of I-35 in Duluth.
Projects in the Twin Cities metro area include:
- Converting Highway 169/I-494 to a freeway to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion in Bloomington, Eden Prairie and Edina.
- Rebuilding the Highway 52 Lafayette Bridge in St. Paul.
- Continuing to resurface I-94 between St. Paul and Minneapolis.
- Constructing a new interchange at Highway 101 and Highway 13 in Savage.
- Reconstructing the Highway 36 and Rice Street interchange and replacing the Rice Street bridge in Roseville/Little Canada.
Projects in greater Minnesota include:
- Replacing and repairing bridge and pavement from I-35 from Boundary Avenue to 26th Avenue East in Duluth. (The project began in 2010).
- Constructing four lanes on Highway 23 east of St. Cloud to Foley.
- Replacing three bridges and resurfacing Highway 9 on the Norman/Clay county line.
- Constructing a four-lane expansion, including bridges, on Highway 14 by Waseca.
For a complete list of projects, including construction dates and traffic impacts, go online to www.dot.state.mn.us/construction.