Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
An early morning fire destroyed the home of an 86-year-old Detroit Lakes man Tuesday. The fire is believed to have started in the basement of the house at 820 West Avenue, possibly from a wood-burning stove, according to Detroit Lakes Fire Chief Dave Baer.

Man escapes early-morning blaze in Detroit Lakes

Email

An early morning fire destroyed the home of an 86-year-old Detroit Lakes man Tuesday.

The fire is believed to have started in the basement of the house at 820 West Avenue, possibly from a wood-burning stove, according to Detroit Lakes Fire Chief Dave Baer.

Advertisement

He told KDLM Radio that the house was fully involved, with flames shooting through the roof, when firefighters arrived about 1 a.m.

No one was injured in the fire. Baer said the man lived there alone. He woke up, saw the smoke and made his way out safely. He was not wearing his hearing aids and did not hear the smoke alarms go off.

A neighbor said the man came across the alley to her house and she alerted authorities.

The house sustained extensive damage, and the shell is pretty much all that remains, Baer said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement