Man comes home to blaring smoke alarm
Robert Pitts drove up to his Grand Forks mobile home Tuesday afternoon to find smoke and flames underneath the porch.
"If I hadn't have came home, it probably would have taken the whole place," the 58-year-old said.
Pitts ran inside his smoke-filled mobile home at 5204 Center Ave. to find Pepper, his Shih Tzu-poodle mix, hiding under a bed as smoke alarms blared. He grabbed the pup, shut off the electrical main and got outside.
The fire, located under the mobile home's enclosed porch, kept burning after Pitts threw snow on the foot-high flames trying to extinguish them. He said the blaze was still going when the fire department arrived. Firefighters put out the fire and used fans to ventilate the home.
Pitts guessed the fire's cause was electrical in nature.