Filings for municipal and school elections throughout the region
The filing period for municipal and school district elections closed last week, with a few new candidates throwing their hats in the ring.
Those who have filed include:
* In Park Rapids, incumbent Pat Mikesh has filed for mayor, along with Pam Hauber. Incumbents Paul Utke and Erika Randall have filed for two four-year terms.
* Incumbent Park Rapids Area School Board members Dennis Dodge and Steph Carlson have filed, along with newcomer Clayton Hoyt. They are running for three four-year terms. Karol Savage is not seeking re-election.
* Incumbent Richard Johnson has filed for Nevis City Council. There is an additional council seat and mayor position up for election but no one has filed for those seats.
* Four people have filed for three positions on the Nevis School Board. Incumbents Gary Stennes and Andrew Lindow have filed, along with Chris Gatewood and Lindsey Nicklason. Long serving member Marv Vredenburg has chosen not to seek re-election.
* In Menahga, incumbent Mayor Pat Foss has filed again, along with Jensine Kurtti. Craig Lawrey and Thomas Ellingson have filed for two, four-year terms. In a special election, Marty Ahlf has filed for a two-year council position.
* Four people have filed for Menahga School Board. Incumbents Jon Kangas, Durwin Tomperi and Ernest Huhta Jr. have filed, along with newcomer Andrea Haverinen.
* In Akeley, current councilmember Brian Hitchcock has filed for mayor and will run unopposed in November in a special election. Former Mayor Jerry Tatro submitted his resignation July 28 because he’d moved out of the city limits. Incumbents Trygve Karl and Bobbie Emery, along with Billy Krotzer, have filed for three city council seats.