Weather Forecast


Fatal Hawley house fire blamed on accidental ignition of materials surrounding improperly installed electrical outlet

Email News Alerts

By Emily Welker /The Forum

HAWLEY, Minn. – A fatal house fire here Sunday morning was caused by the accidental ignition of materials surrounding an improperly installed electrical outlet, Lt. Stephen Landsem of the Clay County Sheriff’s Department stated in a release Monday.


Authorities also identified the 15-year-old girl who died in the fire at 702 6th St. S. as Rylie Efterfield of Hawley.

Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet?

You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at and we can help you.

Forum News Service
The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, stretching from the oilfields of western North Dakota to the plains of South Dakota and to the shores of eastern Minnesota. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.