Family escapes fire early Wednesday
Brian Halik shudders to think what might have happened if he hadn't gone bowling Tuesday night.
After arriving home, he heard his fireplace crackling.
Only it wasn't the fireplace. It was the walls of his Lake Peysenske home. The fireplace had ignited them.
Three-dozen firefighters and trucks from Park Rapids and Nevis descended on the home at 12:25 a.m. Wednesday. Temperatures were 20 below zero with wind chills nearly 40 below.
Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet? https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=40&event=subscriber/lookup.
You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you.