Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
This mobile home northwest of Park Rapids was destroyed during the early morning hours of Nov. 13 in a chimney fire. (Sarah Smith/Enterprise)

Chimney fire destroys Park Rapids mobile home

Email

A Park Rapids couple was burned out of their rented mobile home early Friday morning when a chimney fire ignited the ceiling and eventually destroyed the trailer.

Advertisement

Nathan Lehmann and Lorraine Maninga lived at the Westwind Mobile Home Park northwest of Park Rapids on 190th Street.

According to the Hubbard County Sheriff's Department, the single-wide home was "fully engulfed with flames" when emergency crews arrived on the scene shortly after 1:30 a.m.

The couple told firefighters they arrived home at 11 p.m., ate and went to bed. They thought they smelled smoke from the fireplace insert in the wood stove, but couldn't locate the source of the smell. They awoke to the ceiling above the fireplace on fire and attempted to extinguish the flames.

The couple said they had a fire in the stove earlier in the day.

"They had renters insurance," said landlord Ilse Armstrong, who added that the mobile home was insured. "I'm so happy for them. They're really nice people and I feel really bad for them."

The home and contents were extensively damaged.

She said the couple was staying temporarily with relatives.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement