Bonding bill includes funds for Armory Square project
By Don Davis
Saint Paul, Minn. - House and Senate Capital Investment Chairs Rep. Alice Hausman and Sen. LeRoy Stumpf have announced an agreement on a Capital Investment package that includes $846 million in GO bonds and an additional bill that includes $200 million in further investments in infrastructure projects. The bills include priorities with statewide significance, focusing on higher education, regional assets, transportation, housing, and basic infrastructure. It also includes money to fund the Armory Square project in Park Rapids.
Importantly, the bill meets the agreement made by leaders in the majority and minority last session and even goes further to accommodate priorities of Republican members, including $22 million for the Lewis and Clark project in southwestern Minnesota.
Other highlights of the Capital Investment bill include:
- $126 million for completion of the State Capitol renovation
- $240 million in higher education projects for the University of Minnesota and MnSCU
- Over $100 million for roads, bridges and vital transportation infrastructure.
- $100 million for housing, the largest investment in state history.
- The bill does not include any contentious policy issues, such as language dealing with sprinklers.
The bonding spreadsheet is attached.